Wednesday, June 9, 2010

100 Posts In and Finally a Great Brunch in the DC Area

I often lament the lack of good brunch options in DC. And while, with a few exceptions, my opinion that DC does not have a decent variety of good brunch spots remains unchanged. But if you are willing to venture a little outside the beltway, brunch nirvana in a tranquil setting awaits at Black Market Bistro.

Located in Garrett Park in an old Victorian Post Office building, Black Market Bistro's brunch starts Sundays at 10am, at which time there's a line of people waiting to get in. We discovered it thanks to friends that live nearby. As a quick side note, while I would love for all my good friends to live closer, when they spread out to different neighborhoods, I have found this a great opportunity and excuse to expand my dining radius.

Back to the food. The brunch menu includes fresh squeezed juices, divinely fluffy pancakes, brioche French toast, and new twists on sandwiches such as the Croques Monsieur and Madame. Entrees range from $10 - $15 and the portions are hearty.

We started with the beignets and while Café Du Monde they were not, these hot fried dough balls were the best we have had in the area, and generously dusted with powdered sugar.
But most importantly, I finally found pancakes that I love that I don’t need to go to NYC for. These three huge, fluffy, dense yet airy pancakes were textbook in their texture and flavor. The whipped butter and orange syrup added a nice sweetness and tang. The fresh fruit that accompanied it was nothing special, but the addition of local sage breakfast sausage was delicious.



B’s Croque Madame ventured beyond the French textbook, featuring sourdough bread and poached eggs as well as French ham and gruyere cheese. B was also impressed with the peppery freshness of the mixed greens.




Since we were meeting friends, there was no question that this place was worth the commute. But after experiencing Black's brunch options, whether with friends or dining alone, we will be back.
Total for two with two glasses of grapefruit juice, two entrees, one side, shared appetizer, tax, and tip was $45.

And another note, I can't believe this blog now has 100 posts, and while I hate to admit it, I only write-up about 30% of our dining experiences. Please don't do the math! But with this centennial post, I'd like to hear from you -- what is your honest opinion? What would you like to see more of? Less of? Write me here -- eatingarounddc@gmail.com .

Black Market Bistro on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my most favorite restaurants in the DC metro area! Brunch is amazing, and lunch and dinner are equally excellent. They serve New American Cuisine in, as you mentioned, a quaint old Victorian Post Office building in historic Garrett Park: a truly awesome juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your feelings with the lack of good brunch places in DC, I've been looking for a good place for sometime now. This place looks great and isn't that far out of DC, I'll definitely be checking it out next sunday!

    ReplyDelete