Saturday, January 16, 2010

Saturday Morning Sanity: Brooklyn Bagel Bakery

Since 2010 started, my life has been a whirlwind. There's lots and lots more of my day job--which is seems at about 150% right now--and at the same time I am finally finishing my MBA with an intensive project. Add to that the daily retinue of sleeping, commuting, and exercising.

So I figured that given the revved up daily grind lately, it would be apropos to mention one of my favorite local places that has been a relaxing Saturday morning tradition for us since we moved to Arlington in 2005: The Brooklyn Bagel Bakery.

This neighborhood bagel shop in Courthouse Arlington is the best bagel around. They are boiled in-house and then baked or vice versa, and come out perfectly chewy on the inside and crusty on the outside. The group that runs the business are always friendly and super efficient, serving the hoards of Arlingtonians that come in every weekend.

I also love watching the bagels being made from scratch in the back of this storefront cafe. It reminds me of my favorite TV segment as a kid, when Mister Rogers would show you how things were made. I get my weekly adult dose of this lesson by watching the bakers step-by-step bagel process. There is also ample seating inside as well a half dozen tables out front for the warmer months.

So even when my life gets crazier than normal, I can always count on a Saturday morning spent munching on half (the bagels are huge) of a chocolate chip bagel with light (to make me somehow feel better about the chocolate part) cream cheese. I highly recommend a trip if you are in the neighborhood. I am just realizing now that over the past four years, I have literally had hundreds of bagels. Not sure what that says about me.

A bagel with cream cheese is about $2 and goes up from there depending on the toppings.
Brooklyn Bagel Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment