Thursday, January 21, 2010

Just Okay, but Always Drawn Back: Faccia Luna

If you asked me whether you should head to Faccia Luna, part of a microchain in the Clarendon neighborhood of Arlington, I would have to say: "probably not." Yet why do I continue to eat there when I have Monday nights free? Let me explain. On Mondays, for 24.24 you get:
  • Two glasses of house wine (not swill, but not something I would normally drink),
  • Two salads (these are decent with lots of shredded mozzarella, tomatoes, mushrooms, romaine, and creamy, zesty parmesan peppercorn dressing), and
  • A pizza with two toppings (the quality here varies wildly, from classic old school pizza to completely undercooked as they are trying to rush pizzas out of the kitchen).
This is the type of place where you find yourself saying things like: “the service is actually good tonight” or “the pizza is actually cooked.” So be forewarned that it could very well suck. And other than the bartender who is friendly and keeps a great rotating selection of beers on tap, the service is most always ambivalent and sometimes non-existent.

Why go? Obviously the price is appealing, especially on the first day of the work week. The food can be really good – never great, but what do you expect for $25 for two. The space is warm, and it is great to unwind after a long day.

I think I like the routine of the whole thing, not having to worry about cooking on Monday nights. However, I have been in an MBA program that meets on Monday nights for the past four years, so when we do go it feels like a bonus to not be sitting in class eating Subway (I won’t even talk to that).

So if you need a cheap date, and can keep expectations in check, this is the place for you on Monday night. Otherwise, you can do better.


Faccia Luna Trattoria on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I will try a Monday night there! It couldn't hurt :) or could it? I guess if the pizza is too undercooked!

    ReplyDelete