Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving: Greeting the Day with Pumpkin Chocolate Goodness

Eating Around DC Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
As you readers may know, I blog a lot (and by that I mean about 75 to 1) more about my eating exploits outside the home than within.  But B and I love to cook, and over the years, I am proud to say that have become a decent baker.  But unless its holiday time, I find cooking more rewarding than baking and a lot less exact!  So while I am not One Vanilla Bean or the Cupcake Avenger -- both offer great recipes and baking exploits -- in the spirit of the holiday I wanted to share one of my favorite holiday recipes.

I have been making these treats since I had my first kitchen to call my own, right out of grad school in a miniature galley-like space in Boston.  The recipe was given to me by a colleague and the best part, no special equipment needed.  The results are moist and delicious, and I usually whip up a double batch.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 1 Dozen Muffins
1 2/3 Cup Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp salt
2 Large Eggs
1 Cup Plain Pumpkin
1 Stick Butter Melted and Cooled
1 Cup (6 oz) Chocolate Chips

Heat the over to 350.

Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients:  flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking power, and salt in a large bowl.

Break eggs into another bowl.  Add pumpkin and butter (once cooled).  Whisk until well blended.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Pour over dry ingredients and mix with spatula or wooden spoon until well blended.

Scoop batter in paper-lined muffin cups. 

Bake for 25 minutes (cooking time will vary based on your oven; check to ensure with a toothpick; when it comes out clean, they are done)

Best when allowed to sit 1-2 days.  They also freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment